Sesame Teriyaki Tofu Bowl
What’s my go to protein source? Tofu! Tofu is packed with protein, it has several health benefits and it’s extremely versatile. Here is one of my favorite ways to make tofu. This recipe is also great for anyone who wants to incorporate a meatless Monday into their week!
- 1 block extra firm tofu (I use the high protein tofu from Trader Joes or Whole Foods)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1/2 cup mixed bell peppers
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp roasted black sesame seeds
- Cook a batch of rice. I personally use a rice cooker every week to meal prep. I store my rice in the fridge and just grab from it throughout the week.
- Remove the block of tofu from it’s packaging. Use a hand towel or paper towels to remove a majority of the water from the tofu. If you use the high protein tofu, there should not be as much water to remove.
- Cut the tofu into ½ inch slices. Then cut the slices into ½-1 inch cubes.
- Spray your pan with cooking spray.
- Put the cubes of tofu into the pan. Season the tofu with the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook the tofu until most of the sides are golden brown.
- Spray another pan with cooking spray, and toss in the bell peppers and steamed broccoli. Cook until they are at your desired texture.
- Place the tofu (I used 2 of the 5 servings), veggies, and rice in a bowl. Drizzle on the teriyaki sauce and sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds on top. My personal favorite sauce, is the gluten free, sesame teriyaki sauce made by Organic Ville.
- Store the leftover tofu in the fridge.
Macros: 38g Protein, 40g Carbs, 18g Fat
Author: Kay Jassel, BIN Nutrition Coach, thejassels.com